The Performance of Clouds
A CloudOps Research Paper on the Performance of Cloud Computing Platforms
Cloud computing is a significant shift in the way companies build and run IT resources. It promises pay-as-you-go economics and elastic capacity. Every major change in IT forces IT professionals to “rebalance” their application strategy—just look at client-server computing, the web, or mobile devices. Today, cloud computing is prompting a similar reconsidering of IT strategy.
Performance monitoring firm Webmetrics approached us to write a study on cloud performance. We decided to assess several cloud platforms, across several dimensions, using Webmetrics’ testing services to collect performance data.
In this paper you will learn:
- The state of web performance and cloud computing.
- Cloud computing terminology.
- The big questions to ask when testing clouds.
- A testing methodology for the evaluation of cloud platforms.
- Test agent code that you can use for your own testing.
- Guidelines for how test various cloud platforms yourself.
- Our own testing results for several different clouds.
Sign up and download this research paper today!